Tuesday 12 June 2012

All Systems Go!



Had the all clear from the clinic today. Blood tests were fine, and the CT scan showed what it needed to show and nothing extra. No little Ted's! 


If you want to see how happy I am, I posted this on my other blog


This means the way is clear for me to start on the Sorce Trial of Sorafenib!


Today I had more bloods drawn as I gave permission for its analysis along with the cancerous kidney to help with another study. My blood pressure was 132/80 and I'm good to go.


I know I said I wasn't going to read the list of side effects, but I've been advised it's a legal requirement. They are:-


Common

  • Hand/Foot skin reactions
  • Rash
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Sore or sensitive tongue or mouth
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal pain, cramping or bloating
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of appetite which may lead to weight loss



And Less Common

  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Hair thinning or patchy hair loss
  • Hoarse voice



So some things to look out for. And if I don't suffer from any of these, doesn't mean I'm in the placebo group. Everyone reacts differently. My Nurse explained she had people on a previous study who felt they weren't on the drug but were and visa versa. I'm going into this with the view I won't have any, glass half full you see!


My blood pressure needs to be recorded every week too, been given a machine to take it myself. Already had a play, very easy to use. Have a funny feeling I may, for a while, be using it more often until the novelty wears off.


I'm to take two tablets every day for the next three weeks, either an hour before food or two hours after, ideally the same time each day. The plan will be to increase the dosage to two pills, twice a day, 12 hours apart. All depends on how I react to the medication.


I'm getting a lot of support from the trial nurse, have numbers to call if the self help remedies I've been given don't work, 24/7


Next appointment is Tuesday 3rd of July, must remember to get a blood taken the day before. If all is well, my next batch of tablets will be prescribed and released.


All in all, a productive day. I take the first dose tonight.


Wish me luck!

2 comments: