Sunday 10 June 2012

Background

The story so far

I will try and keep this brief. I'm sure you are reading this because you are actually interested in the trial, not all the crapiness that came before it.

I was sent for an ultrasound scan to confirm gallbladder disease as I'd been having more attacks of pain and nausea on 1st of February. At this scan the radiologist had a look around my other organs, a but like when the car is up on the ramp to check your brakes. While you're there, might as well have a look at the exhaust. (hopefully the radiology department don't get commission for finding more cases) I knew something wasn't right when the senior consultant was called in. That evening my GP confirmed I had a 5cm x 6cm tumour in my right kidney.

So my cancer or Ted the Tumour as I called it was found quite by accident

The kidney was removed on 14th of March. Was confirmed cancer when I went back for post op consultation on 26th of April with Urology. Finally saw my oncologist on the 17th of of May where I was told it was a 3 on the Lieberman Scale. Will add the full node, stuff thingy when I get it as I wasn't really taking it in at the time.

I was offered the chance of being part of this drugs trial and I jumped at it. (there was the small thing of having my gallbladder removed between 17th of May and the date the trial would start; I needed at least two weeks to heal! Very lucky we made it happen!)

SORCE: a multi-centre phase III double-blind placebo-controlled study designed to examine the efficacy and tolerability of sorafenib (Nexavar) in patients with resected (total or partial) primary renal cell carcinoma (RCC) at high or intermediate risk of relapse

You can read the full website details here

Sorafenib has been used as a treatment for advanced kidney cancer, where surgery isn't an option, it inhibits the growth and spread. This study though, is to find out how much protection it can give to people who've had their tumour and kidney removed and hopefully lower the instances of a recurrence in the following years.


I will be in one of three groups.
Group A gets the drug for 3 years
Group B gets the drug for a year and a placebo for 2 years
Group C gets the placebo for 3 years


There are side effects, they are however outweighed by the benefits (Bet I don't get the weight loss side effect! I know, I'm shallow) And out of 8 patients, 3 will be group A, 3 in group B and 2 in group C so my odds are good for getting at least a years cover.

In this blog I will share my feelings, thoughts, side effects and anything else relating to the trial. I have another blog Glass Half Full, which I will still be using, but thought it would be a good idea to keep things separate. However feel free to jump on over there too if you want to know more about me and my every day outside of the trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment